Santa Maria sopra Minerva
is a 13th century minor basilica, a titular and former conventual church on the Piazza della Minerva in the rione Rione IX, Pigna. The dedication is to the Blessed Virgin Mary. This is the only mediaeval Gothic church within the ancient walls of Rome.
For reference, a plan of the church is available here
The first church was built at the end of the 3rd or in the first half of the 4th century. It was built on the ruins of a Roman temple, probably dedicated to Minerva Chalcidia.
The present church dates to c. 1280, and became an important church for the Dominicans. The architects were probably Fra Sisto and Fra Ristoro of Arezzo, and the work was ordered by Pope Nicholas III
In the 17th century, Carlo Maderno
renovated the church.
It has been renovated several times, with the last major work done in the 19th century by Fra Girolamo Bianchedi.