San Paolo fuori le Mura


< previous > < index > < next >
7a456866
The Gregorian portico was built under Pope Gregory XVI [1831-1846] by Luigi Poletti. The twelve columns of Attic marble were recovered from the nave of the ancient basilica; one of them, in the second row on the right, bears Pope Siricius' inscription about the building of the Theodosian basilica. There are eight in front, and four behind.
(Plan location #7)

Related links:  Luigi Poletti (1792-1869)

(Photo borrowed from internet)
© Roomassa blog